In a recent move to fulfil Canada’s labour market needs during the coronavirus pandemic, the Canada government has introduced a new policy for temporary foreign workers, who already have a job offer in Canada, to start new jobs while their work permit application is still being processed.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) new policy will allow temporary foreign workers to start working in 10 days instead of 10 weeks after applying for a work permit.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NEW POLICY
* Now temporary foreign workers with employer-specific work permits, who have a job offer lined up, can submit a request to IRCC to authorize them to work. Previously, such workers were required to apply for a new permit with the name of new employer to work legally in Canada.
* The request will be reviewed in 10 days, and if approved the worker will be notified by IRCC via email. After that they can start working at their new job.
* There is no change to the role of the employer in the process for hiring foreign workers. They still need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
* They also need to name the worker in a position on the LMIA and inform Service Canada about the same.
* In case of employer-specific LMIA-exempt situations, employers need to submit an offer of employment through the International Mobility Program Employer Portal.
STEPS TO CHANGE EMPLOYERS
* In order to change employers, Temporary foreign workers must first apply for a new work permit from inside Canada. Applicants are advised to submit their application online. However, if due to any reason they cannot submit an online application, they are allowed to make a paper-based application.
* After applying, applicants are required to fill out the IRCC’s web form. The process might differ based on the fact that whether the applicant is work-permit exempt or not.
* After this, the IRCC will notify the applicant via an email in about 10 business days that they can start working for their new employer while they process the complete application. This process might take longer time in case of paper-based applications.
As one of the world’s leading economies and best country to work and settle in – Canada is a prime destination for many foreign nationals who are seeking employment opportunities overseas.
Canada boasts a strong and diverse economy with world-class standards of workplace safety, competitive wages, and endless opportunities for professional & personal growth. Every year over 300,000 individuals are granted permits to work in Canada, which offers a huge opportunity for foreign workers looking to settle in the maple country.
Check your eligibility to Work & settle Canada!!
World’s largest immigration group- WWICS brings you a special initiative to check your eligibility as well as process your Canadian work permit application online through our comprehensive online services. If you too wish to work & settle in Canada, get in touch with our experts today!!