The Sole Representative of an Overseas Business visa categoryallows the senior representative to travel to the UK in order to establish the company in the form of registering the company, conducting business matters, opening offices and acting as the sole representative of the said company.
This visa is favorable for growing companies who have no presence in the U.K and are looking to move into the market. Because there is no investment requirement it is often seen as a more flexible option than the Entrepreneur visa. It is suited to SMEs who are looking to ‘test the waters’ and expand into the U.K who do not want to invest a lump sum of capital into the business nor have to fulfill other requirements under other similar business visa categories such as employing a certain number of employees.
In order to qualify for a Sole Representative of an overseas business visa, you need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- You must hold a senior position within the company but not be major shareholder. You can be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose business headquarters are outside UK.
- You may hold a senior position in the company and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf. However, you cannot be an owner or a manager & cannot own more than 30 to 35% of company’s business.
- You can be recruited and employed outside the UK by company headquarters whose business is outside the UK.
- You need to meet the English Language requirement with at least CEFR level A1 or having an academic qualification taught in English and is recognized by UK NARIC.
- Investment Amount: Depending on Business Requirement. GBP 50,000 and above.
- IELTS – 5 Bands and above are required.
- MEDICAL TEST- Tuberculosis Test is required.
HOW LONG CAN YOU SAY IN THE UK?
You can come to the UK for an initial period of 3 years. However, you may be able to extend your visa for another 2 years. After you’ve been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK.
VISA EXTENSION FOR SOLE
The overseas representative visa lasts for a period of three years and can be extended after this. The extension lasts for a further two years. After the holder has been in the U.K for a total period of five years, they can then apply for permission to settle permanently in the United Kingdom.
WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO ON SOLE REP VISA?
- work for your employer, full time
- bring your family (‘dependents’) with you to the UK
- extend your visa multiple times
- apply to settle in the UK after you’ve been here for 5 years
- work for yourself or any other business
- stay in the UK, if the sole representative arrangement is ended by your employer
- switch to this visa from any other visa category
- get public funds
WWICS – OFFERING EXPERT GUIDANCE AND SUPPORT ON SOLE REPRESENTATIVE VISA
WWICS provides guidance for applicants looking to obtain Sole Representative Visa and will assist you throughout the application process right from first consultation till the granting of the visa as well as visa extensions.
If you would like to explore the UK visa route, please get in touch with our expert business immigration lawyers by filling your details and let us make your immigration procedure hassle-free, smooth and seamless.