The 2023 PGWP Extension
IRCC extends Post Graduation Work Permits for 18 months that are expired or expiring in 2023.
New announcement on PGWP Extension 2023: Canadian minister of immigration the Honourable Sean Fraser makes an announcement to extend post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) on March 17, 2023.
- PGWP holders wanting to stay longer can extend their WP via a facilitative procedure.
- Those who qualified for PGWP extension in 2022 will be eligible for the new extension.
- Starting April 6, eligible PGWP holders will receive reminders to update their personal information via IRCC Secure Account.
- Applicants will receive an interim work authorization by email to attach their expired PGWPs.
- Work status will be allowed for 18 months after which they can apply for Canada PR
- Former international students can apply for open WP.
- Will be allowed to apply for restoration, even if they are beyond the status of 90 days.
Post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) are typically not eligible for extensions, and a foreign student is only permitted to hold one PGWP at a time.
However, PGWP holders with expiration status on or before December 31, 2022, were able to prolong their stay for an additional 18 months thanks to a temporary public policy that the IRCC put into place in August 2022.
The primary route for foreign students with a year of Canadian experience to apply for permanent residency is the CEC draw, which will not be held after September 2021. (PR).
About 40,000 PGWP holders were given permission to continue working in Canada under this new strategy.
Find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration!!
To find out if you’re eligible for immigration to Canada, simply complete our FREE ASSESSMENT FORM! A member of the WWICS team will review your eligibility and contact you to discuss your options to immigrate to Canada!